Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Registration Policy

Hi everyone,

We are near 200 members now which is amazing in this short time but we are also facing a lot of spam/ad accounts, whenever a user register on the website I get a notification in my admin panel with an option to approve the registration even before the user go and verify his/her email, I did this for few accounts that I know very well but now I am not going to do this anymore, I am getting a lot of registration notifications but the users are not verifying their email which proves that those are spam accounts with fake emails, as such I am going to remove any pending approvals after three days of registration, I think it's ample time to open the email and verify it, anyone going over three days is pretty much a spam account and will be deleted.

In case you have registered then make sure you verify your email within three days and don't forget to check your spam folder in case registration email land there.

Thanks Smile
[+] 7 users Like BrutalAce's post

Great decision. I got used to verifying my email everytime I register somewhere that I didnt notice that you can post in here without email verification. I thought by default you need to verify through email first. Now, spammers will have to tire themselves out creating emails if they want to spam.
[Image: 4okIdt2.png]
[+] 3 users Like Sensaiga's post

and we will make sure no spammers will remain on MB
[+] 2 users Like Khaledantar666's post

More than 200 members guys Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Khaledantar666's post

@"Khaledantar666" Indeed congratulations to everyone Smile
[+] 1 user Likes BrutalAce's post

I believe I've verified mine already, so I should be good.
[Image: iz5LICs.gif]

@"Karl_Est" Yes you're good I think when I saw your name in registration pending list, I approved it right away but in case you verified too then it has no harm Smile

This is a curiosity if anything.

Does MyBB not have any built in tech or plug ins for spam blocking? I'm sure deletion is going to get annoying for you guys over time. It seems like whatever measures are presently working aren't strong enough since we still get a ton of spam members and now posts even.

I'm not sure what the trick is to beat these things if there isn't something available, but it seems like other forum software does not seem to struggle this much.

@"ProtocolX27"
We're protected from robots at least. There are plugins to counter spams but no system can completely prevent actual humans from registering and posting their nonsense. Good thing it's pretty easy to purge them here with just a few clicks.
[Image: 4okIdt2.png]
[+] 3 users Like Sensaiga's post

@"ProtocolX27"

I am sorry if this bothered you, I try my best to delete any spammer as soon as I see them and I am sure other moderators are doing the same but the forum is still new and likely a good target for spammers but today I added a few things that can help fight spam.

1. Added more security questions during registration and some very specific ones like M. Bison is the leader of ? you only know answer to this if you're into fighting games Tongue

2. Enabled stop forum spam feature which will check usernames, emails etc against stop forum spam database, any matching spammers will be blocked automatically.

3. Added stop forum spam API to our forum which will allow more spam patterns to be submitted to stop forum spam database.

Like @"Sensaiga" said I am pretty sure these are human spammers, a lot of cheap SEOs are spreading their crap all over the world. There is no definite way to stop them but I hope these steps will make things difficult for them.
[+] 5 users Like BrutalAce's post

Thanks, Guys! No worries, please don't take my question as a complaint. I know admin stuff takes work, so I was just wondering if there was maybe some more options available to help you guys have to do less cleanup meanwhile helping the topics from getting bloated with junk.

I know that there is no avoiding the human element, it just seemed like there was so much that it didn't seem like it could be all human. I'm sure scripts could be advanced enough to identify a 'New Post' button.

Thank you for everything you've already done Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes ProtocolX27's post