Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Character Huge

I'm trying to learn how to mod for myself and I'm having an issue with my character in game being huge. I followed the resources here in which I downloaded the awesome provided character FBX files that Brutal Ace posted and made adjustments to the mesh. I used Maya to edit the mesh though because that's my software of choice. I exported the FBX file from maya and imported it into unreal 4.7. Everything looked as expected in Unreal but in game the mesh is huge! Any thoughts on what might cause this? I'm looking to see if there is a unit conversion issue between Maya and Unreal?

Basically this is the Pajamas costume on Chun but I hate the apron and I love the sneakers from Brutal Ace's Sparring Costume mod. 

Thanks for all the awesomeness you guys do here in advance.
[Image: oMrJTtR.jpg]

(12-03-2018, 10:42 PM)neonBeatdown Wrote: I'm trying to learn how to mod for myself and I'm having an issue with my character in game being huge. I followed the resources here in which I downloaded the awesome provided character FBX files that Brutal Ace posted and made adjustments to the mesh. I used Maya to edit the mesh though because that's my software of choice. I exported the FBX file from maya and imported it into unreal 4.7. Everything looked as expected in Unreal but in game the mesh is huge! Any thoughts on what might cause this? I'm looking to see if there is a unit conversion issue between Maya and Unreal?

Basically this is the Pajamas costume on Chun but I hate the apron and I love the sneakers from Brutal Ace's Sparring Costume mod. 

Thanks for all the awesomeness you guys do here in advance.
[Image: oMrJTtR.jpg]

I looks like maya needs you to specify the FBX units to "Inches" which imported allowed my character to work at the correct size in the game.

Now I can't figure out why the color applied to the clothing looks to be applied to the skin. The only material uasset file in my mod is for the crocs. I'm not adjusting the skin material so I'm not sure why this is happening. Any thoughts?

[Image: ykwnaXe.jpg]

This appears to be an issue with the mesh somehow but I don't know how to fix or verify this. I tried just using the mesh I made and not texture or material customization and the character still receives color on the skin. It just looks like the mask is not working eve  though I haven't made any changes to it. Or the mesh isn't receiving info from the mask in some way.

This just keeps getting more interesting. So I went back to the original FBX and checked to see if everything was working correctly and it was so I must have messed something up. Now moving forward it looks like the colors are not in the correct order. I don't know what causes this. It seems that maybe the material element order on the mesh asset dictates which material get which color id? If that's the case how does anyone delete geo from an existing model and not have colors go crazy on them? I tried just using the CMN_Inviisble material applied to the apron to make it go away but that doesn't seem to do anything either.

[Image: 4vk5iSl.jpg]

@"neonBeatdown" You made sure to maintain the same material order, right? In Blender, I mean and Unreal Engine. Other than that, it's probably something to do with your texture files.

(12-04-2018, 10:40 PM)Ouji Wrote: @"neonBeatdown" You made sure to maintain the same material order, right? In Blender, I mean and Unreal Engine. Other than that, it's probably something to do with your texture files.

You know I'll be that's exactly what's happened here. I'm using Maya because I'm more comfortable in that and the FBX file comes in with a few materials that seem odd like there are 3 variations of the "Apron" material. So the order of the materials get's out of wack. How do you keep the order of materials in Blender if you remove an entire piece of geo that was using that material?

@"neonBeatdown" The three materials for the Apron part of the mesh is due to Capcom dividing the mesh into sections for the Apex Clothing Tool, but that isn't important right now.

To answer your question, even if you deleted the part of the mesh that originally corresponded to a material, the material itself should remain, so the order is maintained. If you accidently deleted the 'unused' materials, just create new ones and place them in place of the ones you deleted. In order to know the exact order of materials, check the original FBX and the Customisation Uasset, which is typically used to customise thr colour of the character and their clothing/items.

Hope that's clear.