Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Tutorial] How to do costume conversions ?

(01-08-2021, 04:54 AM)bbb Wrote: @Mapsking

when I make mods, I only include the edited files for the same reason of reducing file size, and also makes it easier going back to old mods to see what I actually edited on them. However, when swapping the costume, all the files of the slot folder become necessary, so there is no choice in saving space for that. The common folder is not necessary, but certain characters that swap when they get a name change breaks the reference to that common folder, so if the common folder is not in the pak to get renamed as well, some things get messed up, but its still not necessary since you can just correct the reference to the common folder. like the eye lens line I add in my script, that is to avoid adding the common folder to the pak, but I did not think of certain characters like ibuki who have other things in there, another line of script can correct that, but I thought it easier just to tell you to add the common folder instead of more script.

As for the swap mods that don't include all the files, I believe you are referring to the mini swap? that just tells a few files to reference files in a different slot, so slot 1 pulls files from slot 2, but the issue with that is that you decide to put a mod over slot 2 later, it will then duplicate itself to slot 1, so you wont be able to have 2 different mods in those slots, unless you swap using all the files.

Another exemption to this is if you are swapping a c1 mod to ad style slot. since ad style costumes are just duplicates of c1 (or c2 on cammy) you do not need to include all files for this since the non modded files of those costumes are the same.

Good points. As I swap everything around, I'll make sure to include the original folders, it isn't that huge of a deal, besides, I prefer the full swaps. As far as the AdStyle ones go, it may break something down the road, but it always bothers me that they use the same as the default ones, seems like a big waste, so I've swapped most characters to mods that have no color customization, so that way, in the base game, you get an extra 40 costumes to play with, ha ha. No sense putting those in a C1, C2, or C3 slot, and wasting 14 colors, LOL.

@Mapsking

There is also the official pak tool that you can you that has the option for pak compression that reduces the size. keep in mind though that if you want to use that, you will have to use it after you use my script on an uncompressed pak and extract it. my script does not work on compressed pak. also for some reason, 7z file sizes are a lot less for uncompressed paks then it is for compressed paks.

ad style slots are good for a free slot to use for unique costume mods, as I don't like to replace existing costumes in the game, and instead just tweak them or improve them a bit with minor mods. I wish the champion edition also gave out the red bull and similar costumes so I could also use them for more free slots for unique mod costumes.  Though those ones are different then the ad style as they are actually similar to mini swaps, as they only have the small differences in their folder, and pull the rest of the files from the 01 folder. so modding c1 costumes actually mess up the red bull costumes and I have seen some of these messed up costumes when opponents use them online.

I also don't mind the lack of colours on ad style as I only use one or two colours on costumes anyways, and its easy to swap colours with the tool.

(01-08-2021, 05:52 AM)bbb Wrote: @Mapsking

There is also the official pak tool that you can you that has the option for pak compression that reduces the size. keep in mind though that if you want to use that, you will have to use it after you use my script on an uncompressed pak and extract it. my script does not work on compressed pak. also for some reason, 7z file sizes are a lot less for uncompressed paks then it is for compressed paks.

ad style slots are good for a free slot to use for unique costume mods, as I don't like to replace existing costumes in the game, and instead just tweak them or improve them a bit with minor mods. I wish the champion edition also gave out the red bull and similar costumes so I could also use them for more free slots for unique mod costumes.  Though those ones are different then the ad style as they are actually similar to mini swaps, as they only have the small differences in their folder, and pull the rest of the files from the 01 folder. so modding c1 costumes actually mess up the red bull costumes and I have seen some of these messed up costumes when opponents use them online.

I also don't mind the lack of colours on ad style as I only use one or two colours on costumes anyways, and its easy to swap colours with the tool.

@bbb

Interesting, I did not know of any official pak tool, but I talked to the developer who made FluffyQuack Mod Manager, and he told me the reasons why it supports .rar files and not .7z files, specifically, it can extract .rar files quicker than .7z files, so while the files themselves are not compressed, I compress all of my mods to a .rar file, to make them smaller, and move quicker.

On a related note, I use a script for Winrar, that works beautifully, except one minor thing. Since you seem to do a lot with scripting, I wonder if you might help me modify it slightly? It compresses a bunch of files dragged onto it, but if there is a period in the file name, it assumes it is the end of the file name, and whatever is afterwards is the extension. So, for example, if I have a folder name called M. Bison - (C1) Mapsking, it tells me who the mod is for, what slot it is, and what the name of the mod in a format I like. However, when I run the script on that, it would be M.rar. I wonder if you'd be willing to take a look at it, and see if you can help me figure out how to modify it so it will include the entire folder name?

If not, it is no big deal, I can always do it manually, but I don't really understand how to modify it, it just seems like a minor change.

Thanks, Mapsking

@Mapsking

the tool is here

http://modderbase.com/showthread.php?tid=834

i don't have winrar installed, I only use 7z since the amount of compression it can do it massive.

This mod of mine is 13.2GB.

https://www.deviantart.com/bbbsfxt/art/G...-837633384

with 7z, I was able to get it to only 200MB with robhal's settings.

https://i.ibb.co/jkJmdG0/HjwNGhg.jpg

as for scripting, I don't actually really know anything. If you look at my conversion script, its nothing but simple replace this with that, or find this. nothing really special.

in your situation, I would just name the folder M Bison - (C1)
[+] 1 user Likes bbb's post

Is there any method to resize characters in PAK file, using HxD alone?

(01-09-2021, 01:17 AM)bbb Wrote: @Mapsking

the tool is here

http://modderbase.com/showthread.php?tid=834

i don't have winrar installed, I only use 7z since the amount of compression it can do it massive.

This mod of mine is 13.2GB.

https://www.deviantart.com/bbbsfxt/art/G...-837633384

with 7z, I was able to get it to only 200MB with robhal's settings.

https://i.ibb.co/jkJmdG0/HjwNGhg.jpg

as for scripting, I don't actually really know anything. If you look at my conversion script, its nothing but simple replace this with that, or find this. nothing really special.

in your situation, I would just name the folder  M Bison - (C1)

Wow, that is some heavy-duty compression!
[+] 1 user Likes Mapsking's post