Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What makes you mod?

Hello everyone, as a fellow artist I just want to ask all the modders here (for any game) what makes you mod in the first place? I plan on having a career in animation and game development and I thought maybe modding would be a pretty neat place to start. Do you guys plan on doing anything with modding in the future or is it just a hobby? Also, how did you guys start? Were there classes you guys took first or did you wake up one day and decided to be a self-starter (or maybe something in between)? If anyone also does animation (sfm, etc), is that easier or harder than modding and which one would you recommend for a beginner in 3D art? If there is already a similar thread to this, please let me know. I would luv to pick ya'll brain on this, advanced modders and budding ones too. Thanks!  Big Grin
[Image: tumblr_o28sbpHtvq1son3fpo1_500.gif]

@"Rocklee89"

Jeez, that's like, a college entrance exam essay prompt. 
(cracks open beer)
Quote:what makes you mod in the first place?
Quote:Also, how did you guys start?
Mmmm. When I started I guess I had a few reasons....? Now I do it as a creative outlet. My day job is artsy but soul crushing, it's nice to do something artistic where I have actual creative control that translates to my other favorite hobby, which is fighting games.

I started modding around....Christmas last year I guess? I remember seeing a bunch of mods on Escrubs that caught my interest and I ended up on /r/streetfightermods looking for stuff to add to my game. Somebody posted a pic of Chae Lim asking for a Juri mod. And I remember clearly saying to myself, "nobody's ever going to make a mod that puts more clothes on Juri instead of less unless I figure that shit out myself."

And the rest was history, really I just jumped in. 
No classes or previous modeling experience, I just sort of lurked on Zetaboards and followed the tutorials. 

It probably helps that in my day job I work with some pretty uncooperative software, I was confident I could figure it out if I stuck with it. Also I'm incredibly thankful the more experienced modders took time out of their day to share information so people could learn when they really didn't have to share anything.

Got stuck a whole bunch of times, read several hundred pages of the modding discussion thread looking for answers, kept pushing.

This was me starting out, btw:
 [Image: omgwtfroflcptr_mod.jpg]

So don't be afraid, keep failing until the game stops crashing, lol. 
 In terms of 3D work, I maybe looked at a few Blender video tutorials but after a couple it's pretty intuitive and I figured out the rest by feel, and mostly by fucking up.  

Quote:Do you guys plan on doing anything with modding in the future or is it just a hobby?
(SIGH) That's really the question, isn't it. People really, really don't like paying for mods. I don't wanna get into it too much and I really don't understand the reasoning behind this, but it is what it is. So modding is really just a hobby for me, unless attitudes change. But it's a lot of fun for me, so that's fine.

Frankly, I've found myself a little burntout as of late...? I've made most of the mods I was really serious about making. Now I just like messing around with stuff to see how it looks in SF5's engine.

Obviously there's a trillion requests in the modding request thread, I could do those. It's hard to really justify doing a lot of other people's requests for free when you have to spend your own money buying characters and costume slots, and it eats up a TON of your time. And then either only one or two people give a shit or they just whine because it's not on the right costume slot, or it ends up on Eventhubs and people just shit all over whatever you make in the comments section and ruin your day. So I don't know if I'll keep modding forever. Maybe someday I'll do something crazy like, I dunno, PLAYING Street Fighter V for once.  

I do however, plan on making a giant ass modding tutorial/info dump for SF5 in the near future. Modders were kind enough to share what they knew with me, I do believe in paying that forward and passing on what I learned. 

Quote:If anyone also does animation (sfm, etc), is that easier or harder than modding and which one would you recommend for a beginner in 3D art?

Hmmmm can't really speak on animation. Modding is a nice starting point because you can manipulate pre-existing assets to make something new as opposed to starting from scratch.  

That's probably all I can answer, I think...? Hope that helps.
[+] 1 user Likes sleepy_scrub's post

I started as a user who enjoy using SFIV mods .Then I saw Hunterk's tutorial for texture editing and then I tried it out by myself and came up hooking with modding.From time to time,I have learnt new modding techniques and be-friend with lots of comrade

In Summary

"I Come for the mods, Stay for the community"
[Image: XraiYnJ.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Monkeygigabuster's post

@"sleepy_scrub"
That absolutely helps alot, dude. I'm all about the "if you want something done right" attitude, and I believe most people appreciate your work despite the grief some may give you (luv that Black Panther mod so far). Also, I'm glad no special classes are necessary to reach your skill. Thanks for your time and input!

@"Monkeygigabuster"
The community is what encouraged me to make mods instead of just admiring them, so I couldn't agree with you more. I'd be super proud of myself if I can be have half as good as you guys!

My story is similar to @"Monkeygigabuster" I started playing SFxT locally with friends and one day I was searching something which made me stumble upon mods, Resident Evil 4 mods from @"Monkeygigabuster" and @"Khaledantar666" were my favorite, one day I decided to make something myself and PMed Khaled on DeviantArt, he gave me some tips and asked me to join Zetaboard forum and since then I am part of this team.

As for how I learned modding, I just asked questions and spent a lot of nights pulling my hairs like a stubborn guy. We used to have Misfit Model 3D as our primary mesh modding tool but it was very limited compared to Blender, I created few mods with Misfit then switched to Blender because it felt so much better and powerful, from there I watched YouTube tutorials to learn Blender.

I want to do something inside game industry but I have no formal game education, modding alone is not enough to get inside game industry, heck it's not even enough to earn some respect lol, a lot of people take modding as some sort of hacking and that's it, they don't consider you an artist for creating mods but at the same time it's a really fun hobby, you get that sense of satisfaction when you complete and release a mod and I wouldn't have met so many good friends without modding.

I can't compare modding and SFM because I have no knowledge about SFM though I know some guys who create amazing stuff with SFM and they are working alone just like modders so both just take interest, you can create pretty much anything you like without a team. As for what I will recommend, well if you're looking for career in animation then SFM should be your choice but if you're looking for career in modelling and skinning/rigging then modding should be your choice.

Now if you talk about just modding then I'll say it's easy to learn but hard to master, you can create a simple texture mod in just one day but creating a mesh mod takes a lot of time, patience and skill. That's why a lot of modders leave before they even start and that's why I advice every new modder to take it slowly.

Hope this help you somehow Smile
[+] 3 users Like BrutalAce's post

@"BrutalAce"
Huh..... So those guys got you into modding. Wow. Funny thing is, your Juri Cleavage Final Edition on DeviantArt is how I got into mods. I've never used a mod for any game before then, but I hated how Capcom censored SFV so I decided to learn. I know modding is highly regarded among the rpg gamers and their industry so I'm hoping it'll be the same for fighting games someday.
Thanks a lot BrutalAce, and here's hoping that I inspire someone to get into mods too (eventually).

@"Rocklee89"

Yes those guys are older than me though most of the DeviantArt and Zetaboard registrations were done in mid 2012 while I joined in late 2012 so the scene wasn't that old, maybe they used to mod original SF4 on SRK before that but I wasn't around back then, I joined when SFxT modding was taking rise.

Well I am against censorship too and fan service isn't a bad thing in my books, I am glad it inspire new comers to join too Wink

Hope you become a very good modder Smile
[+] 1 user Likes BrutalAce's post

@"BrutalAce" RE4 mods ? Bro I never modded that game xD I started with SF4 Vanilla then SFXT as you know

@"Khaledantar666"

You made Asuka lady mod for SFxT bro, that was my favorite and Cody Chris from Monkey Smile

@"BrutalAce" Nope, both are from @"Monkeygigabuster" xD

@"Khaledantar666"

This video mention that it was done by monkey and you Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgn0IimpJNQ

Maybe you two collaborated on this or maybe the video maker is uninformed but I remember this was mentioned somewhere else too xD.

@"BrutalAce" lol I don't know what my name is doing there but it's not my mod bro, it was entirely done by Monkey

btw, damn, the SFXT graphics weren't that good back to 2012 but now it looks really ugly xD

SFXT graphics sure is dated but I think it still has its own charms even without the nostalgia factor
Pretty sure that Asuka hero mod was made by Moedjer
Back in SFXT days it was fun to see 2 mods featured in a video like this,I miss the time when my mod was featured with other modder mod just like this

Now MVCI and DBFZ also has tag mod to featured mutiple characters but there are too few modders in those 2 games ATM to make mods
FOr now may be  I'm the only modder who mod SFV,MVCI and DBFZ simultaneously.I hope more modders will join us soon.
[Image: XraiYnJ.jpg]

@"Rocklee89"

i have started modding a few months ago and still in phase of learning 
as for your question about which is easier modding or sfm animations ?

i have used sfm to make small animations myself and i do modding too
in my experience both are not difficult to learn but both take a lot time 

i would say that it takes about 6-7 hours at making an animation of about 6-7 seconds
depends upon how much big environment you create before animating your character , how much objects you load and place them

and it takes about 6-7 hours at making a mod which includes importing an external small mesh and rigging it and textures etc etc..
modding can as simple as swapping two characters which takes a maximum time of 10-12 minutes

or 

making your own custom character using external meshes and textures and manually rigging the entire character 
which could take a few days

So, in conclusion , i think both are not very difficult to learn but take a lot of time , practice and patience

in some peoples view spending 7 hours and making an animation of 7 seconds isn't worth the time 
while making a custom mod in 7 hours was worth the time and vice versa  

now as why i do modding ?

well thats because....

its fun and interesting to do

also i wanted make youtube channel not because of a career just so that i could support my family a little bit 
for that i wanted unique content so
i had two choices i.e
-sfm
or
-modding

i did try to make animations but i didn't find it as my cup of tea
i liked modding a lot and
thats how i'm here

i don't know which one would be more relevant to game development
but which ever you chose i hope would be successful in it
wish you best of luck
[Image: fate_apocrypha___jeanne_d_arc_render_111...cp3cq5.png]
 Patreon  ||   Deviantart  (Make sure to tell that this donation is for ecchi gamer in the description)
[+] 1 user Likes Ecchi Gamer's post

@"Ecchi Gamer"
Ah.... So neither is particularly more easier or difficult, just personal preference. Really glad someone could clarify, much obliged!
Do you still do animations from time to time, or completely dedicated to modding?