Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

MvCI PC Modding Tutorial - Custom Model Workflow 4k 60FPS

@UncleFestor
I have tried @BrutalAce FBX export just like you and the game didn't crash anymore but it still has the glowing effect just like your situation
I guess we will have to figure out FBX export setting for Blender for now
[Image: XraiYnJ.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Monkeygigabuster's post

@"Monkeygigabuster"

I use version 2.78b. @"UncleFestor" sent me his FBX file, I'll check it tomorrow and post my findings here.
[+] 1 user Likes BrutalAce's post

@"BrutalAce"
If you need more sample to look,here is my psk and FBX of Strider (00C) that I can use to cook in UE4.15 successfully without making the game crash.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/advdpcnj7dx29jc/00C.rar
This FBX is exported from the extracted psk file in 3dmax.Any attempt to edit/save that FBX again in Blender later will make the game crash/load improperly (you can cook the Blender FBX normally,but the new usasset file will make the game crash)

@UncleFestor
Cheer!After spending the freaking whole day I have fixed the glowing issue of @"BrutalAce"  fbx plugin

[Image: RcgeTuR.jpg]
Basically the culprit is the scale itself.In my case the Armature scale in my FBX is 0.025 so when I import FBX to UE4.15 I simply set the uniform scale to 40 and it is done

The only thing left to figure out is how to hex edit to change material/texture reference.I do this alot in SFV to give extra materials/texture for my mod but hex-editing in MVCI makes that file unrecognizeable from the game
[Image: isOCPNn.png]
In this example I try to create new material mat_etc_Inst4 by duplicating and the rename/hex edit it but the game failed to recognized the new files
[+] 2 users Like Monkeygigabuster's post

@"Monkeygigabuster"

Good stuff!

I also checked it yesterday but didn't find anything different than SFV FBX so I didn't posted anything I thought you guys must be changing scale just like SFV. Anyway maybe if you do it the SFV way it can also solve the problem, I select the armature only and then change the scale in the from 0.025 to 1 as shown, this way you don't have to change anything while importing the file in UE.

[Image: screenshot__8__by_brutalace-dbvn00s.png]

[Image: screenshot__9__by_brutalace-dbvn00i.png]

About new material, have you made a copy of material file you're trying to duplicate and edited it's name references ?
[+] 1 user Likes BrutalAce's post

Thanks to you all guys! I'll take a look at it when I can.

Just one thing: When exporting from Blender to SFV I also uncheck "Baked animation" (and the options below become grey) and works perfectly too.
[+] 2 users Like Segadordelinks's post

@"BrutalAce" Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated

@"Monkeygigabuster" Great find. As far as the new material goes, you can simply add it in blender. Then it'll be be part of the mesh, and can be cooked in UE4. One of my SFV tut's shows how to do that
[+] 1 user Likes UncleFestor's post

@"UncleFestor"
Could you point me the link of the video
What I'm trying to say is my intend was to rename and hex-edit an existing material to create a new material file to assign later.
I can add new materials in FBX easily but the difficult part is I still have to hex edit an existing material.uasset to assign to the new material slot that I created in Blender

I know that Material file in MVCI contains uasset and uexp file but atm I can only find the reference in uasset file to hex-edit,not so sure about the uexp file
Moddah still can hex-edit to inject texture so let's hope you can still hex-edit material file to change reference

ok, I didn't understand everything you just said, but .uexp files have a header. SO you'll need to open them in Hex. Other than that, as long as the string names are same length or less than the orig. ones, you should be fine.

That being said, there might be materials that crash when cloned. You need to see if the material references or calls upon oither materials that are shared. And if said shared material needs to be refrenced in the FBX or not. I would search originating mesh for string ref's, so that IF there are shared materials, you can build the correct folder structure in your new character.

Ok, so that worked. For those that couldn't follow our conversations, I'll whip up a video tut for Blender workflow this week. I'll try and cover some of the basics as well, for those that haven't messed with Blender & UE4 before.
[+] 1 user Likes UncleFestor's post

(12-04-2017, 02:46 AM)UncleFestor Wrote: .uexp files have a header. SO you'll need to open them in Hex.
@"UncleFestor"
So I have to hex-edit both .uexp and uasset of material right?
Could you take an example screenshot to show me which  part in .uexp file I need to hex edit

@"UncleFestor"

No worries, happy to help wherever I can. Glad things are working out nicely for MvCI Smile

@"UncleFestor"
Here is the video to show how I created new material

In the video I created a new material called "mat_bod_Inst" for Strider and I used mat_etc_Inst3 material as base
1/Duplicate mat_etc_Inst3.uasset and mat_etc_Inst3.uexp and rename them into mat_bod_Inst.uasset and mat_bod_Inst.uexp
2/After that I open mat_bod_Inst.uasset in hex-editor and then replace all "mat_etc_Inst3" into  "mat_bod_Inst"
That's how I usually do to create new material in SFV but it seems doing that won't be enough in MVCI case

Is there any other step that I need to do (uexp?) to change the referemce

@Monkeygigabuster
Hmmm.... Yeah that doesn't make any sense. I tried it myself, and he ends up without the texture applied to the material (Looks like foam, just like in UE4), HOWEVER, it isn't crashing. so.... I need more context as far as what your're doing. 

I copied one mat from the character and just changed the name. I created a new Mat slot in Blender with the same name. Import into UE4, then create Material Instance from that, add it in the correct slot in the material editor of UE4, save, then cook.

@"UncleFestor"
It seems that hex-editing the material file of MVCI will make the file un-loadable (although it didn't make the game crash).
I try to hex-edit to change the texture file reference in the existing material file and the game still loads the model without the texture
At least this game doesn't use customize texture so we don't need much material slot to use but it will be a nightmare if a character model doesn't have any material which contains transparency setting

So yours is also grey foam? I don't think that means it's not loading. If it wasn't loading it should break the mesh. There should be a way to get this to work. We'll need to try differnt things to see what works & what doesn't