Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model Swapping

This may be a bit really, REALLY late but, I've recently learned how to properly model swap (NOT moveswap) in KOFXIV. First things first though, backup your Assets.wad either by renaming, copy&pasting, or moving the file to a safe directory. Now that that's out of the way, here's how you do it:

1. Use quickBMS and kofxiv.bms to extract the files from your directory.

2. Move or delete the Assets.wad.

3. Place all the files from the ASSETS folder into the main game directory. If you have Steam, it will look like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV"

4. Go into the Chara folder and find your source character and your swap character.

5. Find the following files: .OBAC (the mesh data file), .OMIR (the skeleton file), .OSEC (another skeleton file) .CAST (the 'data assets' file), .CSV (the texture reference files), all the CMN files and all the files that contain the extension .DDS and .PNG (the textures)

5.5. You can additionally find the XXX_FCE.OTRA file for a character. This will prevent the "monkey face" bug.

6. Rename all those files from your source to the character your about to swap (i.e. KYO.obac-->IOR.obac, KYO.omir-->IOR.omir, KYO.cast-->IOR.cast, etc.) To ease the process of mass renaming, I recommend using Bulk Rename Utility.

6.5. Hex edit the .CAST File with the swap character's ID. Additionally, you can hex edit the _FCE.otra to fix the "monkey face" bug. I recommend HxD editor, if you're in need of a free and accessible hex editor.

6.75. Edit the .CSV files using any text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++. This will prevent the character from looking red ingame, due to missing textures.

7. Place your new filles into the swap character's directory, essentially moving the .OBAC, .OMIR, .CAST, .CSV, CMN files, and .DDS/.PNG files to the destination folder.

8. Start the game and test out your swap!

I know this is a bit fast of a tutorial, but that's all there is to it. No need to hex edit ANYTHING. In no way is this a finished tutorial, so please share your findings.
"Stereotypical Shounen Protagonist stubbornly doing dense things..."
[+] 4 users Like MicroKnightmare's post

Thanks for this quick tutorial , but the game keeps crashing for me whenever I select Kyo (I tried swapping Iori into Kyo) .

About the .CAST file , are you sure we don't have to Hex Edit it ?
[+] 1 user Likes Amaso's post

(12-21-2017, 11:30 AM)Amaso Wrote: Thanks for this quick tutorial , but the game keeps crashing for me whenever I select Kyo (I tried swapping Iori into Kyo) .

About the .CAST file , are you sure we don't have to Hex Edit it ?

Hi Amaso, you're probably right about needing to hex edit the .CAST file. Let me check my files and get back to you as soon as possible.

EDIT: You were right, but I'm missing a few other steps in the tutorial as well. Let me edit the main tutorial.
"Stereotypical Shounen Protagonist stubbornly doing dense things..."

Thank you very much .
Now it works perfectly fine .

Oh and if you figure out how to delete or hide a mesh ,please tell me .

@MicroKnightmare
nice tut Smile

I’m having a trouble with swapping Mary with Leona. While using Leona’s models in Mary after following hex edit, Leona did not follow Mary’s moves. Anyway to fix this?

EDIT: Never mind. I think I know what’s going on. I’ve copy paste a non-FCE.otra file by accident

sorry for the necroposting but i need to ask a thing, even though i have edited and swapped the FCE at special moves the face deform, does anyone know how to fix this?