Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Character Modding Troubleshooting and Advice?

I’m attempting to do modding for FIGHTING EX LAYER.  So far...it doesn’t seem to be working out  Sad 

The game runs on Unreal Engine 4.19.  The file directory structure seems to be self-explanatory: 

MOD-name\EXF\Content\player\pl01\m00_mdl\c00

Mesh assets going inside the m00_mdl folder and alternate color textures go to c00, c01, etc.  All of it looks super easy, until the thing doesn’t really work in the game. 

From what I’ve seen from the very few FEXL mods when I unpacked them, the texture files come in uasset, uexp, and ubulk format (almost the entire the storage goes to ubulk).  I’m not really sure if ubulk files are actually necessary since the original game paks only have uasset and uexp files.  Nevertheless, the ubulk files from those mods work anyway within the game. 

Reading the Texture files in Hex Editor, they should be set like this in UE4 (must be imported as TGA format) :

Color Textures (col) :

TextureGroup
Character
Default__Texture2D
PF_DXT1 format (can be achieved by clicking “Compression Without Alpha”)
SRGB
Streaming

Normal Textures (nor) :

TextureGroup
CharacterNormalMap
Default__Texture2D
PF_BC5 format
No SRGB
TC_Normalmap
Streaming 

Shiny/Roughness Textures (ORM/ORS):

TextureGroup
Character
Default__Texture2D
PF_DXT1 format (compression without alpha)
No SRGB
Texture2D
Streaming

Whenever I put my mod in the game (pak file via ~mods folder), it just reverts back to the character’s default costume/appearance. I don’t know what the issue could be.  Even when I just do texture mods, it doesn’t seem to work either.  I mean, is it possible that the game cannot be modded after a certain update and that only older mods can be used?

Lol...I can see why there’s only 5 mods for this game...  It’s definitely not as simple as it looks, otherwise there would’ve been more FEXL mods right now.  

If anyone has any luck with modding FEXL, feel free to give me some advice.

@"Monkeygigabuster" would be the person to ask, I know he's gotten a few mods up and running in FEXL.
[+] 1 user Likes sleepy_scrub's post

I just figured it out!   When I turned my mod into a pak, I renamed it but I didn’t add in _P in the end. When I named it Mod-Name.pak, it didn’t work. But when I named it Mod-Name_P.pak, it worked!  I guess FEXL only reads paks if they end in _P.  

Lol I was gonna give up on this, but now I feel motivated again.
[+] 1 user Likes Remy2FANG's post