Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UE4.7.6 FBX import/bake problems

I've been trying to bake model edits (based on Ecchi and Fester's videos), and it wasn't working, so I decided to try a model from BrutalAce's resource pack, since that's a known quantity and if anything should work, it's that. So I tried to import Laura's C2 FBX from that pack.

Issue1:
When it comes in, when I double click the mesh to assign instantiated materials, I only see two LOD0 elements instead of 9 or 10:
[Image: XoHyey3.png]

Issue 2:
Also, if I try to bake it anyway, I can see that the uasset that UE4.7.6 makes for the mesh is 8 megs when it should be 4 megs according to my original unPAKed SFV files.

What's going on? Thanks for any help you can provide. Smile

Imported Laura's C2 from the character resource pack, no issues.
Should have like 10 material elements.

Some kind of import setting issue maybe. Would need more info.  Huh
Make sure you're using the right version of UE too, you usually have to open it through the Epic Launcher to force it to launch UE 4.7, if you just click the Unreal Engine shortcut it will usually launch a newer version.

(01-02-2020, 04:39 AM)sleepy_scrub Wrote: Imported Laura's C2 from the character resource pack, no issues.

Make sure you're using the right version of UE too, you usually have to open it through the Epic Launcher to force it to launch UE 4.7, if you just click the Unreal Engine shortcut it will usually launch a newer version.

Thanks for replying, sleepy_scrub. Smile  It's UE 4.7.6, the only version I have installed.

I just tried a few other models, and they all import everything fine.  It's just LAR_02 (both the original and my edit) that don't load their materials. Come to think of it, they both truncate the name of the CM_LAR_02_Skin2 material (to "CM_LAR") for some reason, and while UE continues to create files for all 10 or 11 materials, only the first two show up as LOD0 elements in the model viewer, as seen in the screenshot.  There's no import error in the message log.

These are my import settings (forgot to change the scale to .3937008 here though), although the problem seems to be related to that particular model:
[Image: iprYvzL.png]

(01-02-2020, 06:00 AM)lettuce Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 04:39 AM)sleepy_scrub Wrote: Imported Laura's C2 from the character resource pack, no issues.

Thanks for replying, sleepy_scrub. Smile  It's UE 4.7.6, the only version I have installed.

I just tried a few other models, and they all import everything fine.  It's just LAR_02 (both the original and my edit) that don't load their materials. Come to think of it, they both truncate the name of the CM_LAR_02_Skin2 material (to "CM_LAR") for some reason, and while UE continues to create files for all 10 or 11 materials, only the first two show up as LOD0 elements in the model viewer, as seen in the screenshot.  There's no import error in the message log.

These are my import settings (forgot to change the scale to .3937008 here though), although the problem seems to be related to that particular model:
[Image: iprYvzL.png]

I had the same problem with Laura's costumes (and either with Ibuki - only with those two), and it's probably due to some import settings, like @"sleepy_scrub" said. I found a solution, just in case: import the mesh with all the materials. Then, delete the mesh and the physics asset and import only the mesh. That should solve the problem (at least, it works for me).
[Image: tC082HC.jpg]

@lettuce
UE 4.7.6 has problems with loading materials of FBX that ends with number(I,e:Skin2 ,eye2,etc)
So rename those materials( of FBX before importing FBX into UE 4.7.6,rename those materials( in your case rename CM_LAR_02_Skin2 into something like CM_LAR_02_Skina).AFter importing,you can rename materials again
[Image: XraiYnJ.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Monkeygigabuster's post

@"lettuce"
An odd glitch. Having your import settings helped, recreated your issue. 

Solution was to uncheck import materials and uncheck import textures on your import settings, the mesh should import with the correct number of slots. 
Some kind of glitch I think.

If you need the correct material names I would probably import it once with import materials checked so that it generates materials, then delete everything EXCEPT the materials, then uncheck "import materials/textures" and import again.

I think that's what @"Leonaura" is suggesting as well, I believe.
[+] 1 user Likes sleepy_scrub's post

Awesome! That's great idea! Wish I had thought of that, lol.

(01-04-2020, 05:29 AM)lettuce Wrote: Awesome! That's great idea!  Wish I had thought of that, lol.

@"sleepy_scrub" explains that a way better Blush

I've trying some things, and the problem would be solved if you rename the materials that end with a number (like @"Monkeygigabuster" said, change Skin2, or whatever, to SkinA or something like that). That way, you won't have the problem with the LOD0 elements.
[Image: tC082HC.jpg]