Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Modding Discussion Thread

Maybe I missed some but is there a tutorial just to show how to edit models in blender (import original character, edit, export to game again)? The edit part is obviously something you need to know blender for so thats to be skipped.
The youtube videos are way too long for what they should be and can be highly annoying when theyre progressing at turbo slow speeds

A text based tutorial would be so much better with all the imporant stuff kept at easy sight.

Hi modding Gurus!
I've got a question if you think there is a solution to create the following thing:

Since Kolin is featured in the story mode of the game would you be able to create a add-on mod that makes whatever costume that is assigned to Kolins C1 to become the one used in the story mode?

Thank you for your thoughts!

@"sleepy_scrub"

I am finally trying my luck out with the apex tool , i normally bother brutalace with all of my issues but he doesn't uses 3ds max while you use have experience with the tool so i am bothering you with this
i don't have much idea about how to make collision volumes 
i did watched a few tutorials here and there but have no still didn't understand how to make collisions 
i am using brutal ace mai cosplay mod and trying to simulate her cloth . this is the fbx file that i am using https://mega.nz/#!PdVTwIpb!3s5w3z_WsLgiP...wyDUrOGnDU

i have no idea what i am supposed to do here , i know that the cloth should be colliding with the pelvis and legs but how am i supposed to do that
[Image: fate_apocrypha___jeanne_d_arc_render_111...cp3cq5.png]
 Patreon  ||   Deviantart  (Make sure to tell that this donation is for ecchi gamer in the description)
[+] 1 user Likes Ecchi Gamer's post

(11-04-2018, 03:29 PM)Ecchi Gamer Wrote: @"sleepy_scrub"
i have no idea what i am supposed to do here , i know that the cloth should be colliding with the pelvis and legs but how am i supposed to do that

@"Ecchi Gamer"

I'll help with what I can.

1.) Link to the tutorial I started with, via @"P_Funk" here:

2.) Ok, we're just talking collision? From the default Apex tab, there's a button on the lower right called "Generate collision volumes," hit that.
[Image: apex1.jpg]
This will bring up a tab that allows you to select each material group you want to generate collision volumes from (select submesh) along with the ability to alter the size/shape of each collision volume (Bone Selection). 

The submeshes correspond to the material groups you have setup within the mesh. Selecting one from the collision volume menu will auto-generate a base of collision volumes.
Using your example I can see that CNL_01_SSS  (aka Material #7 from the top), is the material that links to Mai's skin/body.
[Image: apex2.jpg]

So when I click on "Generate Collision Volumes" from the Apex menu, selecting the 7th tab down with give me the body, and auto generate collision boxes for that material group (you should see a series of wireframe spheres appear as you select each group).
[Image: apex3.jpg]

And from there you can use the bone selection tab to modify the size/shape of each collision volume. Now if you hit "start simulation" you should see your animated cloth interacting with the collision volumes you generated. 

[Image: apex5.jpg]

Also, be sure to hit the "generate tangent space" tab above collision volumes once you're finished, otherwise it won't render properly once you import your apex file into Unreal.

Of note, the Apex SDX has a limit for how many collision volumes it will support, so you may want to disable collisions (via the bone selection window) for bones that aren't near the cloth you're trying to animate.

[Image: apex4.jpg]

In theory, not that hard to deal with. In practice, it's infuriating. Be prepared to increase the size of your collision volumes above what you think you need, and to crank the settings in Deformable Parameters way up to stop your Apex cloth from freaking out. SF5 skips frames within its animations, which will cause collision volumes to warp around and cloth to whip around too fast if you don't have chunky physics parameters setup.

But that's absolute basics for collision for you. Good luck, amigo.
[+] 2 users Like sleepy_scrub's post

@"BrutalAce"

I have been trying my luck apex , and i have noticed that in your mai chunli mod you have two identical vertex groups for the front cloth that uses apex . Whats the purpose of that ?
Am i supposed to make two vertex groups for the mesh that uses apex because i have seen this thing in some official costumes too
 Patreon  ||   Deviantart  (Make sure to tell that this donation is for ecchi gamer in the description)

How do I edit a character like Menat for example? I have problems with the material names. I get multiple names (cloth.001, cloth.002 etc) and other unnamed materials that are just named "material 8" or so
Due to this im unable to have textures ingame. Those characters are just grey.
If I edit the model in blender and save it, sometimes I just get to assign only three materials in unreal enigne, which makes no sense since she has 10 materials or so.

All works fine for cammy, I get all materials correctly named so I dont have to do anything. She works fine ingame. But Menat, Sakura are a problem because their material names or missing and/or wrong

@"Ecchi Gamer"

You can delete one vertex group and the associated mesh as it's useless. That happens because we attach Apex animated mesh separately to the main mesh (during the making of mod) so when we extract it, we loose all animation information but the mesh remains as it is so basically it's just an extra piece of mesh without any rigging. You won't get any Apex related information if you extract one of the mod or official costume as all information is lost during extraction, my suggestion is to watch some Apex tutorial on Youtube, they are not great but they give you some start.

@"glenn8"

Extract one of my Menat mods and see how the materials are laid out.

(11-09-2018, 06:23 PM)BrutalAce Wrote: @"glenn8"

Extract one of my Menat mods and see how the materials are laid out.

Thats what I did. Whether yours or original files, its the same:

https://imgur.com/YruUqrZ

@"glenn8"

I am gonna post my material setup screenshots when I return from work.

(11-10-2018, 06:25 PM)BrutalAce Wrote: @"glenn8"

I am gonna post my material setup screenshots when I return from work.

soo any update?

@"glenn8"

Sorry I literally forgot posting it, thanks for the wake up call.

[Image: 83jzyR1.jpg]

Here is the one for her C3, once you make a mod you can always convert it to some other slot later.

@"sleepy_scrub"

I have uploaded a video can you please take a look at it
Here are the issues i am facing 

first of all the textures get messed up when i attach the apex file IN ue while they are fine when i don't
the jacket is the 11th element in ue and when i attach the apex file it becomes darker for some reason

Next well i tried many different things but still the animation is far from what i wanted, may be it will take me alot of time to get good at it
it just feels kind of unnatural and not very smooth , Maybe a high subdivided cloth gives a smooth animation i don't know?
Perhaps you can point out a more suitable scale that i should have used or have painted 

[+] 1 user Likes Ecchi Gamer's post

(11-16-2018, 06:40 AM)Ecchi Gamer Wrote: first of all the textures get messed up when i attach the apex file IN ue while they are fine when i don't
@"Ecchi Gamer"
Hmmmm..... it could be a couple of things, not sure. 

1.) Apex doesn't seem to like undefined values (the pink lines on your cloth mesh). Try flooding the mesh with a Max Distance of 0 before you start painting mix distance.

2.) Don't forget to setup L2N, otherwise the outside of the jacket will overlap with the inside if the mesh is double sided. See the tutorial I linked to earlier.

3.)  Try switching smoothing data back from "faces" to "normals" when you export out of Blender and start over to run some tests, see if that helps. 

4.) Also, Apex doesn't play nice when the UVs of a mesh overlap. So if you applied a solidify modifier or the apex cloth part of your mesh overlaps, you will have to remove the modifier or rework it and start over. That's probably the most annoying thing about Apex is learning "oh you didn't set your mesh up right because Apex has hidden rules nobody told you about, lol start over".

Hopefully some of that helps.
[+] 1 user Likes sleepy_scrub's post

Hey guys, I have a physics based question about those recent Halloween costumes for Falke and Kolin. Both costumes have skirts that use APEX physics, however, they’re a bit different than most skirts because they have an armature and are already weighted to the bones. I can’t pay for a good APEX tool right now, so I wanted to know if I could use that armature to create a custom physics asset for the skirts. Is there a chance that could work out? I think Chun-li’s Training costume is the same way.
[Image: menatsignature_bytanooki_by_tanooki128-dbxrhhh.png]

(11-20-2018, 04:46 AM)TaNooki Wrote: Hey guys, I have a physics based question about those recent Halloween costumes for Falke and Kolin. Both costumes have skirts that use APEX physics, however, they’re a bit different than most skirts because they have an armature and are already weighted to the bones. I can’t pay for a good APEX tool right now, so I wanted to know if I could use that armature to create a custom physics asset for the skirts. Is there a chance that could work out? I think Chun-li’s Training costume is the same way.

Your question made me go look at her mesh again. The answer would most certainly be yes you could. The default weighting on the Falke skirt is really wierd though.

Speaking of apex stuff. I would love if someone (@"BrutalAce"   Wink ) could make a quick tutorial showing how to setup a blender created fbx into 3ds Max to start Apex painting. I really want to stop using the standalone tool.

@"glenn8"

This is a super late response. But I wanted to add a couple of things that seem obvious but aren't when you assign materials to your mesh.

1. The actual material name in Blender is irrelevant, you can call them whatever you want. That's why you see things like material 0 or material 12 or what have you.

2. The order of the materials is important. You need to match the order to Capcom's material order in the game files. Otherwise you'll run into issues.

3. You can't leave any materials empty or delete them. This is a reason why when you import your fbx into UE4 you can't assign all of the materials. Typically what youll want to do is hide, lets say, a couple of face rectangles inside your mesh's body with materials you don't plan to use.

These are just a couple of tips for you guys working on models.

@"Ecchi Gamer"

The darkedned mesh in APex is a normals issue. To follow up on what @"sleepy_scrub" said it means that your Apex mesh has overlapping UV's. Also, APEX doesnt do well if you mark the seams for UV mapping.

My workflow for apex is:
1. Create the apex mesh as I want it. Like a cape or skirt.
2. Break up the sections by selecting them in edit mode and pressing P to seperate my selection.
3. Unwrap each section individually.
4. Move the UVs so they dotn overlap.
5. Join all the sections of the mesh back together by selecting them all and pressing ALT + J

That should solve any darkened normals issues.
Support me on patreon!
Catch my work on my deviantart page!
Follow me on Twitter!
Watch me on Twitch!

Join us on the modderbase discord! I'm going to post more WIPs on there as well as talk shop.
https://discord.gg/NNz5fcv
[+] 3 users Like addysun's post