Modder Base
Modding Discussion Thread - Printable Version

+- Modder Base (http://modderbase.com)
+-- Forum: Street Fighter V (http://modderbase.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Modding Questions & Discussions (http://modderbase.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Modding Discussion Thread (/showthread.php?tid=26)

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - Ecchi Gamer - 11-26-2018

@sleepy_scrub

I followed the steps you said 
setting smoothing to normals made the animation a little smoorh
i painted the the entire mesh with 0 ..
the problem was that had used the solidify modifier 
but even if i don't use it the uv still get wrong

My cloth is a jacket that i want to animate
i must not use solidify modifier because it messes up the uv
there are double vertices in the cloth intentionally
one set of vertices has normals set up in one direction while the other set has normals in opposite direction
if i remove doubles then only one side either the outside of the jacket or the inner side of jacket stays visible while the other becomes invisible
Is there a way to keep one set of vertices while the normals stay on both sides.....uhh i don't even know what i am taking about anymore

I used a new jacket from the previous one and i faced the same issue with this too
it had 2 layer or double vertices having normals in opposite direction

@addysun

i don't think that my uvwraping is the issue
non of the vertices are overlapping in the default / original uv map of the cloth

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - sleepy_scrub - 11-26-2018

(11-26-2018, 04:18 PM)Ecchi Gamer Wrote: @sleepy_scrub
if i remove doubles then only one side either the outside of the jacket or the inner side of jacket stays visible while the other becomes invisible
@Ecchi Gamer
I hear what you're saying, you need the mesh to be double sided.

What I've done in this situation before that sometimes works is take a single sided cloth, dupe it, then scale it down to like 99-ish percent to make the inner side of the cloth (usually flip the normals here as well).

But the big thing is that the inner jacket UVs still can't overlap.
So if you can isolate the inner jacket UVs and move them somehow on the version you currently have, (and then rebake textures) that could work.

Or if you do my bootleg solution where you dupe the jacket, that'll make it easy to move the UVs for the inner side so you can rebake textures.

Either way its a pain in the ass because you've gotta redo textures.

I would try to remove doubles and get the cloth down to single sided, then try the dupe the jacket solution and make a test apex file to see if it looks better (then redo textures if it actually worked).

Hopefully that sort of makes sense.

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - addysun - 11-27-2018

@Ecchi Gamer @sleepy_scrub

So to be fair (I use it a lot) but you really shouldn't be using the solidfy modifier if you can't help it. It's a great tool but it leads to many issues.  I mean this purely for APEX work. There's a better workflow that you can try here:

Step 1. Alt+ Select the edge of your apex mesh. In my case im using the boot that I made for my latest outfit.

Show ContentImage:

Step 2. Press alt + S to scale the edge inwards a little bit. It helps here to add an edge loop close to your meshes original edge before doing this step.

Show Contentimage:

Step 3. Switch to a view that gives you a better view of the mesh. I used the left side view. Press E to start extruding your mesh. You want to start extruding to build the inside face of your mesh.

Show Contentimage:

Finished. I Only did one extrude so you can see what happens. But for your coat youll want to go quite a bit to make sure you get enough coverage. This is a little slower than the solidify tool but its going to work better for APEX.

Show Contentimage:

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - Ecchi Gamer - 11-28-2018

@BrutalAce

Hey man , as usual need your help
i attached a deadoralive char head over your kolin body and then i tried to texture it , but i can't get the area around the neck where both meshes ( head and body intersect ) intersect each other

[Image: street_fighter_v_screenshot_2018_11_28__...ct3wl1.png]
[Image: screenshot__62__by_ecchigamer-dct3wjl.png][Image: screenshot__63__by_ecchigamer-dct3wjh.png]

I joined these meshes by passing them through each other and it thought i would work but clearly it didn't
Is this due to texture or is because of the normals/shading ?

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - BrutalAce - 11-29-2018

@addysun
@sleepy_scrub

You can do a similar thing using solidify modifier, just select "Only Rim" option and it will solidify just corners. If your mesh has pure quad geometry (like those shoes) then you can add more edge loops in edit mode and adjust them to make it look smooth or nicely curved. Kind of easy when your mesh is either high poly or doesn't have cylindrical shape.

@Ecchi Gamer

Unfortunately just overlapping the mesh won't fix this issue, you have to physically join the necks to fix this. First make sure that both neck parts are as close to each other as possible (not overlapping), use proportional editing to align them as nicely as possible then in edit mode select two vertices from both ends and press alt+m to merge them. Merge them at center and repeat the process for all remaining vertices, if you need more vertices on either end then use knife tool to create more polygons because most likely the number of vertices won't be the same on both ends, once you're done with that go in sculpt mode and apply smooth brush around the connected neck part to make it nice and smooth, select lower brush strength to do it gently otherwise it will deform the mesh very quickly. Once you're satisfied with how smooth it looks go back to object mode.

That is the solution to fix the mesh topology, now there are two ways to fix textures. First is the hardest way but the most accurate, you have to unwrap the UV to make it one UV but this will take a lot of work since you have to project the textures on new UV as well so the easier and kind of inaccurate way is to do a texture editing in either Blender or Photoshop and make sure that the corners of both neck parts have very very similar texture (same color, same normal map, same srma and same sss). You can do that by first matching the colors of skin in Photoshop and then applying Gaussian blur on both corners with a lot of feather to make it smooth transition from detailed part to the blurry part, do this until you get smooth results in game.

Generally it's better to do texture editing in Blender as you can see the result directly on mesh but if that's hard then do the blur way I mentioned above.

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - sleepy_scrub - 11-30-2018

@addysun 

Hmm. My question would be particularly in regards to Apex, how Extrude stops the UV map from having overlapping verts (which appears to be the issue). But extrude looks like a nice technique, I'll keep it in mind. 

BrutalAce@addysun
Quote:@Ecchi Gamer

Unfortunately just overlapping the mesh won't fix this issue, you have to physically join the necks to fix this. First make sure that both neck parts are as close to each other as possible (not overlapping), use proportional editing to align them as nicely as possible then in edit mode select two vertices from both ends and press alt+m to merge them. Merge them at center and repeat the process for all remaining vertices.
This. People were telling me "bridge edge loops" was the right way. But every time I've tried it I get jacked up faces that don't look right, you have to set it up perfectly or it doesn't really work. "Stitching" the neck and head together one vert at a time using merge vertices is tedious but it will work, that's what I recommend. (I'm sure someone more advanced with Blender knows an easier way but it works for me).

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - Ouji - 12-04-2018

Can I collect everything said about the Apex Clothing tool and put it in a separate thread for ease of access? Smile I hope that's okay, so I'll just wait for the mods to confirm.

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - robhal - 12-05-2018

@Ouji
It's fine by me, I am sure everyone (especially modders) will appreciate what you gonna do.

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - Ouji - 12-05-2018

@robhal Thank you for confirming. I'll work on it as soon as I'm home Smile

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - neonBeatdown - 12-06-2018

Hey everyone. I need some help filling in the gaps of knowledge in the various tutorials etc. So if anyone can help me with answers to these questions I would be most appreciative.
  • Is blender the only real way to make sure FBX files retain the correct material id orders when moving over to Unreal? I'm more accustomed to Maya but recently I had several issues where I deleted a part of the mesh on Chun that had a material applied to it by default and when I moved over to Unreal and then into game, the custom colors were being applied to the wrong objects. I have some familiarity with Max so I'm currently editing with that but I don't know if I'll have the same issue.
  • What controls glow/bloom in a material? Is this a value in the SRMA texture or does it require something else?
  • IS XNALara the best starting place for finding assets to put on your character before creating assets from scratch? I'm curious how many mods start with XNALara assets they are then adjusted to fit onto the SFV characters.

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - Ouji - 12-06-2018

@neonBeatdown I can answer the second question for you Smile

2) Generally SRMA controls the shine and glow of characters through textures as noted in Brutal_Ace's texture tutorial: http://modderbase.com/showthread.php?tid=274

However, SRMA relates to the functions and limitations set by a character's costume-specific material or common game material. For example, let's say you want Ibuki's clothing items to shine like gold or glow like Akuma's eye. In that case, you would have to HEX edit the needed materials of Ibuki's cloth material, replacing it with metalic-based materials like the ones used for Birdie's chain and Akuma's glowing eye lense material respectively.

This is usually done through HEX editing. You can use Robhal's invisible material tutorial as an example: http://modderbase.com/showthread.php?tid=269

This is somehwat off-topic, but is helpful; SFV uses fixed materials, and generally, when you compile a character in UE4, you'd use Material Instances. Eventually, you'd replace those with the original material files after cooking the character in UE4.

Hope that somehow clears things up. If I didn't explain correctly, maybe someone else can help you better~

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - neonBeatdown - 12-07-2018

@Ouji Thank you for your responses. I tried to look into the fixed materials but the tutorial for using the hiding material and editing the hex is very specific to that case. It mentions changing the material to point it to another material because that's how the hiding material works. It points to another material and uses that info to hide that material. With the glowing however, it seems far more complicated. If the original material is references a common cloth material how am I to tell it to now reference some other material that will allow me to produce any kind of glow on that? I've seen a few mods with some kind of glow in them so I'm not sure how that's is being done.

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - Ouji - 12-07-2018

@neonBeatdown Yes, you're right about Robhal's tutorial being specific, but it can be applied to your case, as well. I personally don't know how to properly direct character material files to common 'fixed' materials. However, here are two examples as to what to do in your case:

Case #1: If you are trying to make your character emit a glowing effect or a golden/metallic effect, I'll give an example of what I did for a quick mod (or edit if you want to call it that).
I gave the original Ryu costume blue, glowing eyes by doing the following: 

1) I made a back-up of 'CM_RYU_01_Eye.uasset' and 'CM_RYU_01_EyeLens.uasset' materials.
2) I made two copies of Akuma's 'CM_Z21_02_E11_Inner.uasset' material.
3) I renamed the Akuma material to the respective Ryu materials I wanted to change.
4) I HEX edited the Akuma material that I copied according to Robhal's tutorial. For example, changing the name of the texture files within the Akuma material file to Ryu's textures.
5) I edited the actual texture files (inside the Texture folder) that correspond to Ryu's eyes, which you can also figure out by checking the original material files through a Hex Editor. 

In my case, I only needed to make changes to CT_RYU_01_COLOR.uasset by colouring Ryu's eyes to blue, considering I didn't want to make his eyes change colour for each colour palette. In your case, it's probably best to leave the texture the same in order to give it proper colour customisation. 

Case #2: If you simply want your character to have 'oily' or 'sweaty' skin/clothes, you just have to edit the SRMA by changing the green tinted/coloured parts to purple, red or a mixture of both.
Again, I really urge you to check the brilliant texture tutorial by BrutalAce. It's extremely helpful in this regard.

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - neonBeatdown - 12-08-2018

@Ouji you're a god thank you!

I seem to get a crash though when I do this because the filenames referenced in the hex are longer then the original references. If they were shorter I could do what the tutorial said but these are longer. Is there any way to compensate for an issue like this? It seems I would need to find a material file that is longer than what I need?

RE: Modding Discussion Thread - Ouji - 12-08-2018

@neonBeatdown If you can give me the name of the materials you're trying to change, I can try to find you ones that match the length or are longer Smile
There is another way that others know of, which I'm honestly oblivious of.